As important as it is to learn what it takes to be a leader in network marketing, it is equally important to understand what leads to failure as a leader so that you can understand when you might be falling short yourself. Again, it is just as essential to know what do not to do as it is to make sure you do the right things. As a leader in network marketing, you have to be careful to project qualities of leadership, your success may depend on it. Leaders recruit leaders, by this, it is necessary for you to distinguish yourself as a leader if you want to bring in the “big hitters”. Here are 10 keys to success as a leader as outlined by Napoleon Hill, with a specific network marketing take on each one.
Don’t Fail as a Leader
1) Inability to organize details. Efficient Leadership calls for ability to organize and master details. No genuine leader is ever “too busy” to do anything which mat be required of them as a leader. When someone, no matter if they are a leader or a follower, admits that they are “too busy” to change their plans, or give attention to a pressing issue, they admit insufficiency. The successful leader must be the master of all details connected to their position. That means, of course, that they must acquire the details of relegated details to capable business partners
Network Marketing Take: this is a tricky one because you need to be able to provide tools and answers to people without creating a culture of dependency with your team. You need to make sure people in your group are providing with everything they need for success, but the responsibility must be on them to execute the tasks needed for success. As a leader, it is a difficult task to provide enough leadership and answers so that your team can succeed (because your success depends on their success), but not so much that you are constantly on the hook to take them through everything yourself.
2) Unwillingness to render humble service. Truly great leaders are willing, when occasion demands, to perform any sort of labor they would ask another to perform
Network Marketing Take: this fits in perfectly with the description above. You need to have expertise and experience in the areas that you advise to your team to ensure that you are directing them correctly, but also so your team sees the action that you are taking and can’t help but try to emulate it.
3) Expectation of pay for what they “know” instead of what they do with that which they know. The world does not pay people for that which they “know”. It pays for what they do, or induce others to do.
Network Marketing Take: it is great to provide people with free services, however there is also a certain merit to charging to training because often times providing exclusively free training will decrease the value of what you are offering in your prospects mind. However, what Napoleon Hill is referring to is not the aspect of charging people for your knowledge, but saying that a leader must require payment for the translation of what they know to what they can provide for their team. The way that you do this is by guidance to training that others provide, but also by packaging what you have learned into personalized training modules for people looking for solutions in your area of expertise. In this case, charging for training can often times be the better route as it shows value, however you must deliver on what you promise!
4) Lack of Imagination. Without imagination, the leader is incapable of meeting emergencies, and of creating plans in which to guide their followers effectively.
Network Marketing Take: there are always going to be things that you can offer to your team as a leader, however without the imagination to provide value that dynamically answers the problems that your group is having. There are many training systems that you can have your team plug into that will show them how to attain success in whatever their marketing strategy might be, however it takes true creativity to provide your team with unique tools based on the training foundation that you provide them with. Instead of considering the creativity of yourself as a leader, consider how you can spark the creativity of the people on your team. From my experience, this is best accomplished by providing tools and turning them loose for a period of time so they can personally go through the process of problem solving and thinking about how they can personally implement marketing strategies out of the training framework you provide them with.
5) Fear of Competition from followers. The leader who fears that one of their followers may take their position is practically sure to realize that fear sooner or later. The able leader trains individuals to whom they may delegate, at will, any of the details of their position. Only in this way may a leader multiply oneself and be prepared to be at many places, and give attention to many things at one time. It is an eternal truth that people receive more pay for their ability to get others to perform, than they could possible earn by their own efforts. An efficient leader may, through their knowledge of their job and the magnetism of their personality, greatly increase the efficiency of others, and induce them to render more and better service than they could render without their aid.
Network Marketing Take: built into the network marketing business model is the essential nature of having the success of your team. This breeds financial reward for you and for them and should occur without worry of them out-earning you. In fact, you should encourage it. However, if you are doing attraction marketing and you may be providing people with training that will aid them in their development in a competing network marketing company, this takes a little bit more discipline. This could manifest itself in providing unfavorable “word of mouth” about your leadership, a missed opportunity if they decide to change business or if they would have referred someone to you that wasn’t interested in their own business, but may be interested in yours.
If you can build a team of mutual success where everyone is working hard, this can create a great team of referrals across network marketing businesses.
6) Intemperance. Followers do not respect an intemperate leader. Moreover, intemperance in any of its various forms, destroys the endurance and the vitality of all who indulge in it.
Network Marketing Take: as a leader, you must display the qualities of success and portray an image that is worth following. Your actions are noticed and will be considered when your group is confronted with other business opportunities. It is not enough to just sign them up, your behaviors must remain helpful and positive in order to foster an environment of success. Remember that anytime you are faced with an issue in your team, it is much more constructive to look for pro-active solutions rather than pointing the finger at others.
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!
7) Selfishness. The leader who claims all the honor for the work of their followers is sure to be met by resentment. The really great leader claims none of the honors. They are contented to see the honors, when there are any, go to their followers, because they know that most people will work harder for commendation and recognition than they will for money alone.
Network Marketing Take: this is a tough one because in network marketing, there are usually not exclusive awards, as success is usually mutual. However, with attraction marketing for your network marketing business, it is easy to take credit or “lift” ideas from people in your training team to use as your own. While it is certainly not a problem to use ideas that you get when you are talking to people, however the direct copying of the ideas of your team can only cause problems.
8) Disloyalty. Perhaps this should have come at the head of the list. The leader who is not loyal to their trust, and to their associates, those above, and those below, cannot long maintain their leadership. Disloyalty marks one as being less than the dust on the earth, and brings down on one’s head the contempt they deserve. Lack of loyalty is one of the major causes of failure in every walk of life.
Network Marketing Take: I am going to approach this one relating to the way that I operate with my team, whether it is in my primary network marketing business or in my attraction marketing campaigns. The mission statement that I have for my business is to foster an environment where hard work is rewarded and mutual success is encouraged and essential. What I mean by this is that there are no free rides, but hard work will be rewarded by each other and we will work actively to expand each other’s businesses, even it is not the same network marketing company.
This works out very well because you then are not convincing people to join your business that don’t really want to (these individuals rarely work out by the way), but you direct them to people who have different opportunities that they would be interested in. As a result, if that person that you provide the lead to is faced with a similar situation, who do you think they will come to first? That’s right, back to you. In this way, you can increase your recruiting scope by many fold for everyone in your group.
9) Emphasis of the “authority” of leadership. The efficient leader leads by encouraging, and not by trying to instill fear in the hearts of their followers. The leader who tries to impress his followers with their “authority” comes within the category of leadership through force. If a leader is a real leader, they will have no need to advertise that fact except by their conduct-their sympathy, understanding, fairness, and a demonstration that they know their job.
Network Marketing Take: it is a fine line between bringing an authority that positions you as a leader while at the same time fostering an encouraging and productive environment. The careful part about this point is that you need to make sure that your team doesn’t become 100% reliant on you while you are encouraging them. Often times if there is too much pure guidance and not as much subtle nudging in the right direction, you will prevent your team from having the type of grow that is needed to ensure their success and to also allow you to not be overwhelmed with the responsibility of micromanaging your team every step of the way.
10) Emphasis of Title. The competent leader requires no “title” to give them the respect of their followers. The individual who makes too much over their title generally has little else to emphasize. The doors to the office of the real leader are open to all who wish to enter, and their working quarters are free from formality or ostentation.
Network Marketing Take: this is more of a point that relates to a traditional business format with the owner on down to the employee, but in network marketing, you usually don’t have an authoritative role to command the people on your team at your will. Despite this, if you are to be an effective leader, you need to be in tune with the needs of your team so that you can provide them with MLM ideas that are directed towards what they want. I may have a great vision for what I think is going to be the keys to success, but if it doesn’t fit within the style of the people who I am serving, the overall message of the training losses meaning as it will not resonate with those it is meant for. In order to do this, you need to think about what they want, and deliver a product with the direction in mind.